Online Video: Are you willing to swallow the pill?
Video/Podcast/Ted Talk Title and Link: Are you willing to swallow the pill?
Questions: Jacob Morgan Video Clips
- In a few sentences, please discuss your thoughts about this video segment/podcast, and explain how the information relates to the practice of human resource management.
- Morgan used a great metaphor, this type of situation is something I always think about. For example, if the head of a company wouldn’t wanted to be treated the way his employees’ are treated, than why does he allow the mistreatment. I always go by the rule, “always place yourself in their shoes and look at it from your perspective”. Morgan asking us the question, “would you swallow the pill?”. It gets you thinking about all the side effects you go through at your job to complete a task or go forward in the position. This information relates to human resources because of how human resource department manages labor law and employee benefits.
- Please describe the unique aspects of the organization’s HR function.
– The human resource department can take charge if they realize that their employees are being mistreated at the corporation, are the rules/policy fair, if the workload is manageable.
- Please consider replicating these innovations/policies/ in other organizations. Would it be desirable or realistic? If so, please describe the challenges involved, and how the HR Department might address these obstacles to implementation.
– This innovation is definitely desirable but I wouldn’t say realistic because an employee would not be able to speak to the executive of a corporation and let them know that they are suffering side effects from working there. They know that most likely they would be told to quit and go find a job elsewhere. The employees’ can definitely take matters to the HR department and the HR department can manage staff levels or explain the expectations.
- Please highlight one of the HR issues or challenges discussed in the video/podcast and identify an article that relates to this issue. Please post a link to the article and describe how the information is relevant.
How does an HR Director Reduce Employee Stress?
I chose this article because it talks about how an HR director can help reduce employee stress, Many small businesses start with a handful of workers who multitask rather than specialize. As the business grows, each of these tasks requires more time; what once was easy to handle becomes stressful as employees have more work than time on the job to do it. A human resources director works with management to create an organization chart that addresses the company’s labor needs and helps managers staff properly.