Online Video: The Surprising Solution to Workplace Diversity
Video/Podcast/Ted Talk Title and Link: The Surprising Solution to Workplace Diversity
Questions: Cultural Competency & Inclusion (CC&I) Videos/Podcasts
- In a few sentences, please discuss your thoughts about this video segment/podcast, and explain how the information relates to the practice of human resource management.
– In this video, it was discussed how diversity is not big in the work field. People are not comfortable working with minorities. The host stresses how diversity and discrimination in the world right now but how its changing. One thing that has not changed is the people in the upper management, which is exactly the same. I feel that companies now a days tend to hire diverse employees because it spreads a bigger opening. This information relates to the practice of human resource management because the HR department will increase diversity through improved recruitment and hiring practices.
- According to the video/podcast you watched, please describe how this issue impacts the workplace, and how HR policies can address this issue.
– This can impact the workplace because if a minority is surrounded by employees who are of different backgrounds just like them, then can be more comfortable and relaxed. It’s nice to see diverse people in your work field, it’s like a different taste.
- What steps can you take to manage this particular issue from a personal standpoint?
– Some steps I can take are to make sure that I’m giving the diverse applicants a chance when I review their resume. I don’t want to judge based on their background or gender. I don’t believe that a man can do a better job than a woman, it should be based on their skills and not their gender.
- Please describe your perception of Temple’s environment in terms of diversity and inclusiveness. What is the University doing well in this regard? How can the students and the Administration create a campus environment that is more inclusive?
– I think Temple’s environment is very welcoming, you see diversity everywhere you go on campus. Having a prayer room for the MSA to do their obligatory prayers in is very important. Having people from all backgrounds be employees in the university is nice to see.
- Please highlight one of the HR issues or challenges discussed in the video/podcast and identify an article that relates to this issue. Please post a link to the article and describe how the information is relevant.
Why HR Must Lead Diversity Effort
– I chose this article because it relates to the topic in the video, companies with high levels of gender and ethnic diversity outperform others by up to 35 percent. Today, it takes more than checking boxes and targeting ads to create a workplace that realizes the full potential of the differences diverse talent brings. It takes motivated individuals across the organization with the vision to be diversity leaders, not just in HR, but throughout management. It is the role of HR to cultivate these diversity leaders throughout the company to identify, develop and advance people from every talent pool. HR models and gives organizational leaders the lens needed to see new and nontraditional sources of talent including candidates with unconventional education and work histories. Your diversity leaders, and the people they bring on board, will become your organization’s best ambassadors and recruiters, constantly enriching your workforce with talent that may have otherwise been overlooked.