Online Video: Who controls work? EE or ER

Video/Podcast/Ted Talk Title and Link: Who controls work? EE or ER

Questions: Jacob Morgan Video Clips

1. In a few sentences, please discuss your thoughts about this video segment/podcast, and explain how the information relates to the practice of human resource management.

– This can be a broad topic of who controls the work, but a good way to put it is that yes it is true that the employer provides the space, culture, and technology but I feel that is also requires a specific type of work from the employees. But I also with Morgan, the workers go get to choose what job area they want to apply in and what career path the employees’ want to take. The human resource practice can come into play here when an employee is not completing the task that is placed upon him and that’s where discipline in the workplace comes in.

1. Please describe the unique aspects of the organization’s HR function.

– The employees’ have work to complete with a deadline, they have to be in on time to work, if they do not follow the rules than the HR department would have to give out warnings or have a meeting with the employee.

1. Please consider replicating these innovations/policies/ in other organizations. Would it be desirable or realistic?  If so, please describe the challenges involved, and how the HR Department might address these obstacles to implementation.

– I would say that many organizations would disagree with what Morgan is saying because they would feel that they are the ones who control everything along with the environment. The employees are just mainly there to get the job done in the area they are hired but the organization is in overall in charge of everything that goes on.

1. Please highlight one of the HR issues or challenges discussed in the video/podcast and identify an article that relates to this issue. Please post a link to the article and describe how the information is relevant.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/work-in-progress/2015/02/19/four-ways-to-challenge-employees-to-reach-their-potential/#1832b9ee2889

Four Ways To Challenge Their Potential

I chose this article because Morgan mentioned that many people believe that in order to create a workplace where people actually want to show up the employer needs to give employees challenging, exciting and inspiring work that creates a sense of purpose. I want to elaborate on that, in the article it is mentioned how leaders have a tremendous power simply by being in a position of authority, and can use their words to influence how others view themselves. I feel that when an employer asks an employee to get a task done, he will get it done because he was asked to and that’s what he is getting paid for. Morgan’s argument can be backed up if the employees are in the field because its their passion, but if an employee is working and not in love with his position, then I would say then I would say that the employer controls the work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *