Summer 2017 Internship

Firm: Independence Blue Cross

Background on Firm:“Independence Blue Cross (IBC) provides health insurance and related services to some 2.2 million members in southeastern Pennsylvania and, through its subsidiaries, to more than 3 million people nationwide. The company’s plans include Personal Choice (PPO), Keystone Health Plan East (HMO and POS), and traditional indemnity options for groups, families, and individuals. It also offers supplemental Medicare, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance. Through subsidiary AmeriHealth Administrators, IBC provides third-party administration (TPA) services. IBC was founded as the Associated Hospital Service of Philadelphia in 1938 and is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.”

Independence Blue Cross

Manager: Kari Goldberg

My Role: Senior Benefits Consultant Intern – 1000+ groups

How this Relates to My Studies: In my duration of the internship I learned a great deal about the healthcare benefits world. At Independence, they taught the “behind” the scenes of how to communicate healthcare benefits to large groups and employers. HR managers have to make the tough decisions of what benefits are best for the employees and what would be the most popular benefits and this internship gave me the insight to the health care benefits that could be provided.